Thursday, January 24, 2013

First post!

Image from www.sgag.sg

Hi everyone, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Oon Wee Chong, and I am a lecturer at Ngee Ann Polytechnic, School of InfoComm Technology. The main purpose of this blog is to record my thoughts on what it's like to teach a bunch of 16 to 19-year-olds stuff like programming, system design and (gasp!) math. As you can imagine, teaching in a poly is not always easy. They're called Gen Y for a reason ("Do your work!" "But Y?").

Incidentally, I'm not going to restrict myself to only stuff about teaching, so there will also be posts on, well, anything that interests me. It's my blog and I can post what I want. :)

For the sake of full disclosure, this blog was started to fulfill the "Teaching Portfolio" assignment of my Professional Education and Training (PDE) requirement, which is a training course that every lecturer in Ngee Ann Polytechnic has to pass. Anyway, I've always wanted to start something like a blog so that I can archive all my random ideas, but haven't had the time or inclination to start. See? Assignments force you to do stuff, which is good for people like me who need a push every now and then.

Note: for the non-Singaporeans out there, "Poly" is short for "polytechnic", and "Cher" is short for "teacher", which is what many of my students call me. There is absolutely no connection to I Got You Babe.

No comments:

Post a Comment