Saturday, April 12, 2014

Three little updates

It's been three months since I last posted a blog entry. Just so that my loyal readers don't think this blog is dead (um, any loyal readers out there?), I'm just going to tell you about three little things that have happened in my life recently. In descending order of significance:

3. I've been made Assistant Course Manager

Ngee Ann Polytechnic has been reviewing the organizational structure of the various schools, and there have been a few changes made. As a result, I have been given the new post of Assistant Course Manager for the Diploma in Information Technology, which means that I get to work with the Course Manager to improve the diploma and influence how things are run. This comes hot on the heels of my appointment as Section Head and Cluster Chair, so I'm going to have to print new business cards again. :)

In the short term, this new appointment doesn't mean much. I have a few more day-to-day responsibilities, but otherwise it's business as usual. In the long term, sooner or later (and it may very well be sooner) the Diploma in IT is going to have to go through a review. Modules may be revamped or replaced, teaching methods may change, and the entire course structure could be turned on its head. As the ACM, I will have a decent amount of influence on what changes will be made.

So if you're a Dip. IT student who has some ideas or opinions on the course, I will be happy to have a chat. Your ideas might very well benefit students in the future.

2. I've won the School Teaching Award AY 2013/2014

Woo-hoo!

Every year, NP recognizes the outstanding lecturers in each school. Students are first asked to nominate deserving lecturers. From these nominations, a number of them are shortlisted and asked to prepare teaching portfolios. A panel then goes through the portfolios, and then the award winners are determined based on the portfolios and other criteria (including peer recommendations and student comments). Well, this year the panel has seen it fit to confer the award on little ol' me. :D


This is a big deal to me. Egotistical me has always thought that I'm a pretty good teacher, but I have never won any sort of teaching award. After a while I start wondering whether it's all in my head. Maybe I'm an awful teacher, and the students who say that they like how I teach are just humouring me (or buttering me up for better grades). To finally win an award for teaching serves as a validation of my teaching philosophy and methods, so yeah, I'm inspired to continue teaching in the way I think is best. For those of you who hate how I teach, well, pbththththhth!

By the way, this blog played a big part. Like I said in my first ever post, I started this blog partly to supplement my teaching portfolio, and the portfolio I submitted included lots of links to various posts on this blog, silly jokes and all. Turns out the STA panel has a sense of humour. Who knew?

1. My wife is preggers

We're expecting our second child in September, so there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment