Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Advice: on overruling others

This is my second blog post where I give out sage advice (after this one on love and relationships). What makes me think that I'm qualified to tell you how to live your life? Nothing, other than the fact that it's my blog and I can write what I want, so there. :)

Today's advice concerns making decisions where you might overrule others. In my various roles as module leader, cluster chair and section head, I've found myself having to do this quite frequently. It could be as simple as deciding where to have a meeting, or as sensitive as changing the way a lesson is taught when the rest of the team is against the change.

The advice is as follows: "Always consider the possibility that you might be wrong."

Nobody's perfect, and we all make mistakes. The reason we work in teams is so that we have multiple people with different levels of experience, viewpoints and expertise all trying to find the best way to proceed. Just because I'm the module leader or section head does not automatically mean that I'm smarter or better than the rest of the team, and it would be incredibly arrogant of me to dismiss the conflicting views of everybody else without giving them due consideration. It is important to avoid letting the power go to your head.

By the way, the corollary to the above advice is: "Always consider the possibility that you might be right." There is a fine line between giving others' viewpoints due consideration and being spineless and afraid to make the tough decisions. It's actually easiest to go with the consensus, that way you please everyone and the blame is shared should anything go wrong. However, if you have weighed the merits of all arguments and are still convinced that your decision is correct, then you must have the courage to be the villain and overrule everyone else.

When you do overrule, it is imperative that you explain your reasoning as clearly as possible to everyone concerned. I've been on the wrong end of this multiple times in the past. One of my previous bosses would declare an intention to make a big and (in my opinion) wrong decision. I would politely raise my objection, whereupon said boss would casually and completely disregard it. I would press him for his reasoning, and the only reply I would get is "I know what I'm doing." It drove me nuts.

It all boils down to making the best decision you can with the information that you have at that point in time. The trick is to consider all information calmly and objectively, even if it goes against your personal opinion. Besides, if you always reject other people's viewpoints, they'll eventually stop offering them. Then anything that goes wrong would be completely your fault. And you would deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment